Event schedule subject to change
8:30 – 9:00 Registration & Check-In
9:00 – 9:20 Welcome & Introducing Yourselves
Welcome Remarks: Michael BYRNE (IIBLP)
9:20 – 9:30 Welcome from Our Host:
Welcome Remarks: Michael YAU (Eversheds Sutherland)
9:30 – 10:30 News & Trends in Global Trade & Treasury
- ChatGPT - Good Advice, or Bad Practice?
- Zinc and nickel frauds
- The latest in Russia and Belarus Sanctions
- How ESG is Affecting Trade and Working Capital
- Commodity Financing & Code of Best Practices
10:30 – 11:00 Group Picture, Coffee & Networking Break
11:00 – 12:00 What are the Courts Saying?
A Deep Dive into the Court Cases Impacting Trade, Including:
- Kuvera Resources Pte Ltd. v. JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A.
Beneficiary sued Confirming Bank that returned complying documents citing LC sanctions clause
- UniCredit Bank A.G. v. Glencore
Unreimbursed LC Issuer alleged sham transaction between Beneficiary and insolvent Applicant
- Heytex Bramsche GMBH v. Unity Trade Capital Ltd.
Seller/Beneficiary lodged Creditor’s petition against insolvent Non-Bank Issuer alleging wrongful dishonor of LC
- Windsor Township v. Tompkins Financial Corp.
Beneficiary presentation of standby LC copy instead of original LC as required by the credit
12:00 – 12:30 ESG’s Influence on Trade Finance in HK
- What technologies exist to aid reporting your ESG
- ESG Due diligence and disclosures on supply chain impacts
- ESG Risks and “Green Crime”
- European Banking Authority’s Draft Standards on ESG Disclosures
- Green credits in practice
12:30 – 13:30 Lunch Break
13:30 – 14:00 Working with Sanctions Regimes
- Sanctions Evasion: Red Flag Indicators
- Problematic Sanctions Clauses (ICC Opinion TA920)
- Export Licenses: Are They Needed?
- HK enforcement trends for 2023 and beyond
14:00 – 14:30 Managing Your Shipping and Vessel Risk
- Vessel Ownership: Not Knowing is Risky
- Is a Vessel’s “Flag” a Red Flag?
- The latest White Papers on Risk Evaluation
- Best Practices for Small & Medium Banks
14:30 – 15:00 Trade Fraud & Money Laundering
- The Latest Frauds and How Can We Stop the Next Trafigura
- How Can Technology Help Your AML systems?
- Russia and Money Laundering: The Latest Evasion Tactics
- ESG and AML: Lending and Reputational Risks
- AML Regulatory Actions
15:00 – 15:30 Coffee & Networking Break
15:30 – 16:10 The Latest from the ICC
- ICC TAB 5: Modifying/Excluding UCP Articles
- ICC TAB 6: Highlighting Past ICC Opinions
- Opinions Approved at April 2023 ICC Meeting
- ICC’s eUCP Directory Project
16:10 – 16:50 Digitalisation Tools for Trade Finance
- Upcoming Skills Cliff
- What Tools are Available?
- Integration and Interoperability
- How Does My Bank get Started?
16:50 – 17:00 Summary of Critical Issues, Lucky Draw, and Closing Remarks
• Banking Staff - including operations staff and management,
any staff included in trade transactions.
• Corporate - Sales, services, FinTech, and industries using SBLCs and Guarantees
• In-house Counsel for financial institutions
• Lawyers outside of banking institutions dealing regularly with trade transactions
• Government Personnel dealing with regional or global concerns in cross
• Industry - Real Estate, Film, and beyond
What to Expect
• A Dynamic & Instructional environment
• Collegial atmosphere conducive to real conversations
• Gain understanding of future trends as they impact your daily operational work
• A unique cross section of legal, operations, and compliance with a focus on solutions for practical implementation.
The Annual Survey of Letter of Credit Law & Practice (Annual Survey) is the trade finance industry’s premier two-day conference providing structured interaction between participants and leading world-class experts.
Held each year since 1992, attendees of the Annual Survey include senior bankers, attorneys, LC and standby/ guarantee users, and other experienced specialists. Now is the time for individuals, companies, and firms to take advantage of all the benefits Annual Survey participation and sponsorship has to offer in 2023
- Learn from Leading World-Class Experts
- Interactive Discussion with Seasoned LC Professionals on Issues Which Matter to You
- Valuable Networking with Industry Leaders, Like-Minded LC Specialists, and Perspective Customers
- Distinguish Your Bank as a Leader in the LC Industry
- Professional Development Units – CDCS Specialists in Attendance earn PDUs
- Budget Value – Maximize Your Bank’s Attendance at a Fraction of the Cost of In-House Training
- In-Depth Analysis of Today’s Troublesome LC Practice Trends and Hot Topics
- UCP600 and Its Implications for the Future
- The Impact of ISBP … in Your Region and Around the World
- Valuable Insight into the Major LC Cases and Legal Considerations
- LC Open Forum: Pose Your Questions to Our Experienced Panelists
- ICC – Discussions of valuable, updated Rules needed for understanding LCs, Trade etc.
Given the highly competitive nature of LCs, it is important that banks active in the letter of credit market keep current with industry trends, including issues which cannot be solved by the next UCP. Year after year, the Annual Survey has excelled in assisting its attendees in understanding the impact of critical developments and strategies for enhancing customer relationships.
In conjunction with this unique conference each year, additional one-day seminars are also conducted which each focus on a specific area of letter of credit business.
In Person Attendees
This event takes place at the offices of Eversheds Sutherland at 979 King's Rd, Quarry Bay, Hong Kong.
https://goo.gl/maps/UbQsYgnUYV9sPgSR9Continuing Education Credits (CPDs)
This event will provide 7 CPDs toward recertification for CDCS, CSDG, and CTFC.Virtual Attendees
You will receive an email with a link to register for the Zoom attendance of this event in the week leading up to it. It is possible that you will receive an event ticket, which is solely for record keeping.
Please email Michael Byrne at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details on the benefits of sponsoring IIBLP events, including seats, visibility, and access to a 'town square' for the industry.